Amputee end prosthesis

Topic Author
Wizzy
Новичок
Sex: -
Great Britain

Amputee end prosthesis

13 Jul 2018, 14:52

For me, I much prefer to see the prosthesis being used, preferably an above knee prosthesis, although I hate seeing them without a cosmetic cover. My real preference is the older exoskeleton type prosthesis, either in metal or fibreglass. I find those to be very erotic and it always brings back memories of the first amputee woman that I saw when I was a teenager in the 1960's.

Gordon (in England)

Taffdev
Интересующийся
Sex: male
Wales

Re: Amputee end prosthesis

12 Aug 2018, 23:50

I'm with you on this and much prefer prosthetics with a cosmesis over the current trend towards high tech, skeletal limbs - which in itself is somewhat bizarre because I love peg legs. Fortunately (like you) I live in the UK where the majority of false limbs are state (NHS) provided. My theory is that these, out of financial necessity, tend to be lower tech and are fitted with a cosmesis to (at least) try to make them look like a real leg. Ironically, it's the low tech element that gives the user that distinctive false leg gait that I find so appealing.

The internet gives the impression that the use of skeletal legs is common practice and wide spread. Personally I've yet to see a female amp using one "in the flesh" so to speak. Whether that supports my theory or is down to the fact that we Brits are more reserved about flaunting limb loss who can say?

Mollyduker
Дух форума
Australia

15 Aug 2018, 14:59

... down to the fact that we Brits are more reserved about flaunting limb loss…

Think you are right there. You should come to Oz and check out the amputee scene. Most leg prosthesis wearers, both male and female, I've seen lately did not have a cosmetic cover. Saw a couple with those 3D printed shin covers. My former partner wore cosmesis until she was tired for having to replace expense cosmetic stockings which used to ladder and wear out at the foot and the socket. She soon found that she didn't get any more attention without than with cover. Prostheses are pretty obvious no matter how hard you're trying to hide them.

I also like the old exo legs which impart that distinctive limp and sometimes even emit a clicking noise. Trouble is nobody wears them any longer :-)

Taffdev
Интересующийся
Wales

15 Aug 2018, 19:16

Oz is a long way to travel for a quick fix - unless you're going to tell me that 30+% of the females are missing a leg or two lol.

Yes, there definitely are some points about the bad old days that I miss:

Amps on crutches - not many but you saw them.

Peg legs, or rockers as they were sometimes called, issued whilst a new amp awaited a proper prosthetic - again rare but I've seen a couple.

Clanky false legs, often with a fixed knee that had to be released via a little lever to bend - my aunt had one of those as did my misses.

Mollyduker
Дух форума
Australia

18 Aug 2018, 17:12

Taffdev wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 19:16
- my aunt had one of those as did my misses.
You mean to say that your missus wore one of those…

Wow, would have loved to see that!! Did she have a cosmetic cover?

While I can imagine it being very exciting for you, was it comfortable for her wearing it? Did she have a more modern prosthesis?

Taffdev
Интересующийся
Wales

19 Aug 2018, 01:39

Mollyduker wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 17:12

You mean to say that your missus wore one of those…

Wow, would have loved to see that!! Did she have a cosmetic cover?

While I can imagine it being very exciting for you, was it comfortable for her wearing it? Did she have a more modern prosthesis?
No, my aunt's was like the picture. Used to refer to the knee joint as "her bolts" and would always try to keep it covered with her skirts. Can't comment as to the comfort but I assume it was ok because she used it for years before being upgraded to a more modern prosthetic with foam cosmesis. Oddly enough, even when she got the new leg (with a free ranging knee), she kept the knee locked and walked stiff legged because that was what she was used to.

My misses leg did have a cosmesis but still retained a locked knee that could be released via a small lever and cable at the side of the socket. She hated it and only used it (at most) half a dozen times. In fairness, she'd been psychologically traumatised by a particularly harrowing build up to and post amputation coupled with a lack of counselling and poor prosthetic care post op. She never came to terms with the loss of her leg, totally lacked the confidence and will to use a prosthetic or crutches (despite my best efforts to encourage her), and spent all her post amputation life (around 14 years) in a wheelchair. Sad really for both her and (selfishly I suppose) me.

Mollyduker
Дух форума
Australia

27 Sep 2018, 06:10

Looks like our discussion has stalled. Time to post some more pix. Like you guys I like the old exo legs but unfortunately I don't have many pix of amputees wearing them. Does anyone have any more?

Mollyduker
Дух форума
Australia

12 Oct 2018, 06:21

How about something more modern….

Mollyduker
Дух форума
Australia

17 Oct 2018, 09:42

Love those classy black artificial legs. Very s*exy :-)

Taffdev
Интересующийся
Wales

17 Oct 2018, 23:27

Now if every AK amputee looked like this I think I could change my preference for cosmesis covered prosthetics. Absolutely stunning.