PegLeg

skippiebg
Интересующийся
Sex: -

Re: PegLeg

07 Dec 2017, 00:05

Tommy wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 21:00
nteresting! I haven´t seen anyone wearing a peg-leg in ages! Neither here in Europe, nor in Asia, Africa or North America.
I was born in the mid-1950s and remember seeing people using peglegs into the late 1960s and even early 1970s. I clearly remember multiple sightings of an old woman (70-plus) who used a hoof-like leather-clad black pegleg like similar to the one shown above -- and she was not in any way poor, so peglegs must have been regarded as standard way back then...

Some years ago I remember seeing a mid-1970s (you know, NSU Prinzes, SPD Willy Brandt election posters, flared trousers, platform shoes) Super-8mm colour home movie taken in West Germany showing five or six leg amputees using peglegs to come and go to and from a prosthetic centre. I remember seeing recently amputated people using metal crutch-like peglegs in Britain about that period. I think their use worldwide, even as prosthetic training aids, ended about then. I think the reason was that peglegs were considered very crude and unsightly in that period. Cosmesis (meaning concealing the fact of the user's amputation and pretending they were fully-limbed) was seen as overridingly important then.
Tommy wrote:
You obviously like it, right?
Me too! I find their sparcity, outgageousness, and crudity very s*exy. They make an unambigous statement that the wearer is a leg amputee and that they make no attempts to hide or conceal this reality, but rather emphasise it by making it apparent to all onlookers. (I will admit, however, that I find crutch walking sexier. Still, a pegleg is a must for the "Compleat One-Legger"!)
Tommy wrote:
What are the benefits compared to a "proper prosthesis"?
Light weight, as stated above. A fully functional adult's AKA pegleg can weigh as little as 100 grammes and 200-250g is ample.

The crucial bioengineering benefit, however, is low polar inertia. Low polar intertia means that the distal (far) end of the prosthesis (its "Pole") is as light as possible. This gives the pegleg excellent controllability when powered by a short and/or weak stump.

Aesthetic sensibilities on prosthetics have changed. Cosmesis has been less and less important since the mid-1990s at least. Today many amputees make a point of using obviously false, "in-your-face," even outrageous, limbs. Who knows?, peglegs might have a future with a tiny fraction of leg amputees whose needs (physiological, but also why not sociosexual?!) they might fit better than conventional prostheses.

Topic Author
Tommy
Интересующийся
Sex: male

07 Dec 2017, 09:24

skippiebg, many thanks for your extensive response :-)

I was born in 1971 and I don´t remember having seen even one single peg-leg user in my life. I´m not denying the fact that peg-legs might have been more common in the 50´s to 70´s, but nowadays and in Central Europe, you will hardly find anyone wearing a peg-leg in daily live (my opinion).

I understand that it´s much easier to handle a lightweight peg-leg, over a much heavier standard prosthesis, however 100 grammes für an AK peg-leg sounds really challenging!

Most peg-leg´s I have seen (in pictures) don´t seem to have a possibility to bend at knee level, for instance when sitting down. I´d consider this a major drawback over a conventional prosthesis, when you wanna sit down and your peg-leg sticks out like a broomstick, especially in tight areas (like a car or so).

As said before, my preference for pure optical reasons is "neither prosthesis, nor peg-leg, but walking on crutches". ;-)

tdk964
Интересующийся
Italy

07 Dec 2017, 10:35

What do you think about this s*exy pegleg?

gk35de
Новичок
Austria

07 Dec 2017, 11:09

Really great. Natalie, photo by austrian Artist Gerhard Aba.

Topic Author
Tommy
Интересующийся

07 Dec 2017, 11:30

I don´t think the peg-leg is s*exy, I think the woman wearing it is... ;-)

tdk964
Интересующийся
Italy

07 Dec 2017, 16:51

Yes, I agree, I wanted to say.. s*exy woman with a pegleg. :thumbs_up

skippiebg
Интересующийся

08 Dec 2017, 09:45

Tommy wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 09:24
... I don´t remember having seen even one single peg-leg user in my life ... nowadays and in Central Europe, you will hardly find anyone wearing a peg-leg ... 100 grammes für an AK peg-leg sounds really challenging ... peg-leg´s I have seen (in pictures) don´t seem to have a possibility to bend at knee level, for instance when sitting down. I´d consider this a major drawback
Peglegs anywhere today are probably only used in a strictly sexual context between leg amputees and devotees, a bit like frilly lingerie. This is a shame, because I believe in certain specific cases they can be functionally useful and medically recommended in preference to a wheelchair or crutches/single crutch.

100 grammes (3 ounces) was a figure quoted to me 15-20 years ago by Jim G***a, a US devotee who mede peglegs for his AKA wife and one AKA lady friend of hers. This was for a stark socket-and-stick using alluminium crutch components. The figure went up to 8-10-12 ounces (250-360 grammes) with added extras like a simple knee joint (a hinge-like thing bought in an outdoor camping shop and intended for tents and the like) and belts and harnesses. Quite impressively light, considering a standard AK prosthesis weighs perhaps 5 kilos, much of that weight at the knee and foot end.

A knee joint does not have to be lacking (see above). I did see, however, a grown teenage girl with a high AK amputation and wearing a rigid wooden pegleg squeeze quite comfortably and rapidly into a tram seat in about 1971, so it can be done! The pegleg was about 10-15 cm shorter than her real leg, presumably to allow just that. (For me the incident added to the alluring mystique of amputees who, I became convinced, were able to do apparently impossible things with consummate ease :) )

Topic Author
Tommy
Интересующийся

08 Dec 2017, 09:56

Well, at least CrazyCactus claims that he´s using a peg-leg because it´s so much easier and more lightweight, not because of any sexual reasons ;-)

I still doubt the 100 grammes. I know a little bit about light-weight composite (carbon fibre) building and I´d say that a normal peg-leg (without any highly sophisticated production methods) would weigh at least 250 grammes if not more. Look at your mobile phone...my Iphone already weighs 130 grammes...

I´m not saying that an amputee wouldn´t be able to figure out how to live efficiently and comfortable even with a peg-leg without a knee joint. However I think a prosthesis/peg-leg with knee joint would be much more naturally and less cumbersome in some instances.

admin
Администратор
Sex: female

08 Dec 2017, 10:20

Если нечего сказать по теме лучше промолчи @

.....бывают дни хорошие...
:angel:

CrazyCactus
Бан
Russia