Prosthesis cover

Topic Author
admin
Администратор
Sex: female

Re: Prosthesis cover

18 Feb 2019, 18:16

The Emergence of Prosthetic Art
The O&P journey for Frederick "Kurt" Pauloz, BS, CP, LPe, began in October 1983 when he lost his leg below the knee in a single-car accident. "My residual limb has quite a bit of split-thickness skin grafting on about half of my limb, causing many skin problems the first half-dozen years," Pauloz says. "The constant trouble with skin pressure and breakdown left me utilizing a standard endoskeletal [transtibial prosthesis]."
The cosmetics failed quickly due to the removal and reapplication for adjustments to the socket and alignment, says Pauloz, who became a prosthetist in 1994 and started Fred's Legs in Florida in 1997, where he worked until he retired several years ago. When he started practicing in the mid-1990s, standard cosmetic finishing with a foam cover was the norm. "About 95 percent of prosthetics were covered with conventional soft foam covers, allowing for close imitation of the good leg," he says. "Prosthetic art then was unheard of."
Pauloz estimates that it was the late 1990s when O&P clinicians started seeing small examples of prosthetic art. "Skin-tone colors never quite matched, so it's not like you couldn't tell," he says. "I knew early on people would like a different look. With our first prototype, Sleeve-Art Prosthetic Cover, I knew instantly we were onto something special."
Before wearing his prototype, Pauloz says people were apprehensive about speaking to him about his prosthesis. "They didn't want to offend me," he says. On his first trip out wearing the prototype, "Six people stopped me within 45 minutes to talk to me about the cool look," he says.
Pauloz's current prosthesis cover is colorful neon hearts against a black background. He says he believes that O&P is trending away from "old fashioned leg-like cosmetics to new, progressive individual expressions of personality. More men are seeking prosthetic art rather than females, but they are quickly catching up."

Если нечего сказать по теме лучше промолчи @

.....бывают дни хорошие...
:angel:

Topic Author
admin
Администратор

18 Feb 2019, 18:18

Embracing the Prosthetic Art
Companies such as San Francisco-based UNYQ and Alleles Design Studio, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, have been providing affordable, personalized upper- and lower-prosthetic fairings via 3D-printing technologies for more than a half-dozen years.
The fairings are not only known and popular among those who choose to add that level of personalization to their prosthetic limb, but more designers are getting involved, offering their own interpretation of the concept, Summit says. "I suspect that the major manufacturers of prosthetic hardware are now exploring ways to bridge that gap between raw utility and high design," he says. "The leg we will see five years from now will be a thing of beauty, like a perfect motorcycle or watch, showcasing the wearer in their finest light."

Topic Author
admin
Администратор

18 Feb 2019, 18:18

Prosthetic devices were traditionally practical to a fault, and therefore invited being hidden beneath beige covers, Summit says. "The purpose of the fairing was to return the body's symmetry and uniqueness, while remaining unapologetically man-made. The fairing was never meant to be a disguise or camouflage, but instead is a tribute to the wearer's individuality," he says.
Custom silicone covers, designed by trained professionals, have shown how closely a prosthesis can mimic human skin tones and variations, Wulf says.
It has been Wells' professional experience that part of accepting and utilizing a prosthesis is taking "ownership and being proud of the appearance of the device." Having worked in O&P for nearly 18 years, Wells says he has witnessed numerous changes in demeanor when a patient is given the opportunity to select or create the finished look of his or her prosthesis. There's a metamorphosis, he says. "There have been several cases where a patient begins their journey being passive and protecting their limb from public view and then shifts to a more confident disposition when the aesthetic of the prosthesis meets their expectation," he says.
Lately Wells has been working with different composites and finishes that are designed to enhance the look of the device. "We made a young patient happy by adding LED lights with selective cutouts in the frame that make the arm glow." Wells has also been working on a custom, stamped leather cover for a myoelectric prosthesis that will give a "nice combination of high-level technology and traditional leather work."
There is a difference in what people are willing to display as a cover, Pauloz agrees. He uses the example of a teenage patient who was being drawn into a gang. "We were hesitant initially to work with him, but he was a budding artist," Pauloz says. "He designed a detailed, hand-drawn, colored image and I was thrilled to give him what he wanted. Granted, probably not what most others would want, but it helped him to grow successfully away from trouble. It definitely became a life changer for this young man."

Topic Author
admin
Администратор

18 Feb 2019, 18:20

Yeas and Nays
Covers can provide or increase the level of protection against the elements, the clinicians agree. Covers can also provide resistance to excessive wear on moving components within the device, Wells says. The end results, however, are all the same: "The purpose of a prosthetic cover is to increase the functionality of the device," he says.
Custom covers also have their detriments—mainly that they are labor intensive to fabricate and maintain. And though payer sources are not always amenable to paying for custom covers, the answer is always no unless one asks. "It's not always a blanket denial from insurers," Wells says. "There has to be a justifiable, functional need for a prosthetic cover."
Replicating the human form involves a volume of work, and the materials are subject to failure if exposed to the wrong environment, the clinicians say. In addition, covers wear out, and unlike human skin, fail to heal from scratches and abrasions. Misconceptions and stereotyping of prosthetic covers can also occasionally get sticky because of the designs people have chosen. "I've heard a number of stories about non-vet amputees being thanked for their service…," Harvey says.
Ultimately what it comes down to is how a person feels about his or her prosthesis.
"When a person feels good about how their prosthesis looks, whether it's lifelike, high tech, or uniquely creative, they take a more positive approach to the challenges of prosthetic rehabilitation," Wells says. "Being proud of what one is wearing is a huge step in that effort."
opedge.com

uji
Дух форума
Sex: male

28 Apr 2019, 22:36

uji
Дух форума
Sex: male