Story of a dancer who lost her legs

Forum rules
Communication only in English!!!
Messages in other languages will be deleted!!!

Topic Author
admin
Администратор
Sex: female

Story of a dancer who lost her legs

20 May 2018, 10:57

She lost her dream, but she built another.

A young Chinese girl's recovery journey after the devastation of a massive earthquake in Sichuan in 2008 has inspired millions of people with disabilities.

Despite losing her mother-in-law, her daughter, her home and both her legs, 32-year-old Liao Zhi from Mianzhu city has managed to stand on her feet again.

As the country approaches the 10 year anniversary of the catastrophic quake, Ms Liao hopes her story would continue to encourage even more people.

Если нечего сказать по теме лучше промолчи @

.....бывают дни хорошие...
:angel:

Topic Author
admin
Администратор

Re: Story of a dancer who lost her legs

20 May 2018, 10:58

Liao Zhi, a dance teacher who lost her legs in the May 12 Sichuan earthquake, rehearses for a performance in Chongqing, July 8, 2008. Her 10-month-old daughter was killed in the disaster

Liao Zhi, receives treatment at a hospital in Chongqing, May 26, 2008. Both of her legs had to be amputated after the magnitude-7.9 earthquake caused a building to collapse on her.

Topic Author
admin
Администратор

20 May 2018, 11:01

On the afternoon of May 12, 2008, 23-year-old Liao Zhi thought it was the end of the world.

A deadly magnitude-7.9 earthquake rocked her apartment building in Sichuan, causing it to collapse on her.

Amid the blood, the mess, the debris, Ms Liao, a dancer, heard the search and rescue team looking for her, but she didn't have the energy to respond.

Then she heard her father calling her name. She remembered how coarse his voice was from all the shouting.

She thought: 'I must see my father again.'

She made it out alive after being trapped for 30 hours - but she lost everything: Her home, her mother-in-law, her daughter and both her legs.

She was the only survivor in the collapsed building.

In the hospital, friends and relatives wept beside her. But she managed to endure the pain and joked with them.

Other patients in the ward asked her: 'How are you still laughing at this point?'

'Because I am still alive,' she replied.

Topic Author
admin
Администратор

20 May 2018, 11:02

Then 23-year-old Liao Zhi rehearses for a dance performance while in recovery after surgery.

A woman helps Liao Zhi rehearse for the dance performance, titled 'Inspiration'. After each practice session, her bandages were stained with blood from her surgical wounds

Topic Author
admin
Администратор

20 May 2018, 11:04

Originally from Hanwang Town in Mianzhu city, Ms Liao was a dance instructor and the mother of a 10-month-old daughter. The town was one of the hardest hit cities in the earthquake in central China.

The devastating Sichuan earthquake left more than 69,000 people dead and more than 374,000 injured.
Ten years later, Ms Liao walked out stronger from the tragic episode. She is now a happy housewife expecting a second child with her second husband.

'How did you do it?' People always ask her.

'I'll give myself some credit - but actually, it's not a big deal,' she told One Day, One Life, an online publication that documents the daily lives of people in China.

Topic Author
admin
Администратор

20 May 2018, 11:06

Years after the earthquake, Liao Zhi is seen happy and healthy

Topic Author
admin
Администратор

20 May 2018, 11:07

At the same time, she grew apart from her then-husband and they ended their marriage.

'I was a mess, I was emotionally traumatised and I doubted myself,' she said. 'I thought I didn't deserve to be loved.'

In 2013, she met her current husband in Shanghai when she visited the hospital for a new set of artificial legs - he was her prosthetist.

He designed and built the prosthetic limbs for her, and constantly made improvements on them.

She thanked her husband's support in a Weibo post: 'Maybe some men wish to marry a woman because of her attractive legs; but perhaps there are other men that wish to marry a woman because he wanted to gift her a pair of legs.'

Over the years, Ms Liao was able to train her legs to listen to her brain, and slowly mastered them.

Today, she is seen dancing, rock-climbing and running marathons.

dailymail.co.uk