Amputee model Lauren Wasser

Forum rules
Communication only in English!!!
Messages in other languages will be deleted!!!

Topic Author
admin
Администратор
Sex: female

Amputee model Lauren Wasser

12 Jan 2018, 11:33

Model Lauren Wasser lost one leg to toxic shock syndrome in 2012. Now, the 29-year-old star tells The Washington Post that doctors will “inevitably” have to amputate her second leg due to the same condition.

Wasser shared that she’s currently in “excruciating pain” and is undergoing weekly treatments to help repair the damage she has on her foot. However, the condition is likely to take her second leg, as well.

As she told Style Like U in 2014, she was using tampons during her period and when she started to experience flu-like symptoms, she didn’t connect the dots back to toxic shock syndrome (TSS). But when she woke up one morning after collapsing and found police at her door, she knew something was wrong — her organs were failing.

“I had a 107°F fever; my kidneys were failing; I had a heart attack,” Wasser revealed. “Thank God there was an infectious disease doctor there [at the hospital] because as soon as they found me, I was plummeting so bad they couldn’t understand why a healthy, young 24-year-old like me was dying.”

At the hospital, she was put into a medically-induced coma, doctors found and removed the tampon, and she was given antibiotics to attempt to combat the spread of the TSS bacteria.

However, the bacteria spread to her legs, which led to gangrene, and doctors amputated only her right leg. Now, she reveals that doctors are looking to amputate her second leg in a matter of months.

“Toxic shock syndrome is a rare, life-threatening complication of certain types of bacterial infections,” the Mayo Clinic says. “Often toxic shock syndrome results from toxins produced by Staphylococcus aureus (staph) bacteria, but the condition may also be caused by toxins produced by group A streptococcus (strep) bacteria.”

The bacterial infection happens when super-absorbent tampons are left inserted for long periods of time, but the Mayo Clinic notes that since tampon manufacturing companies changed the composition of tampons in recent years, the risk and occurrence of TSS has dramatically declined.
You should see a doctor if you suspect you might have TSS, and symptoms often resemble those of the flu: high fever, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle aches and pains, confusion, redness of the eyes, mouth and throat, and headaches, but could also lead to seizures if not caught early.
One of the possible ways to increase your tampon safety is to purchase organic tampons, and overall, being more aware of what you place inside your body. Though TSS remains incredibly rare, paying closer attention to the chemicals that come in contact with our body is always a safe bet.
www.sporteluxe.com

Если нечего сказать по теме лучше промолчи @

.....бывают дни хорошие...
:angel:

Topic Author
admin
Администратор

Re: Amputee model Lauren Wasser

15 Mar 2018, 13:51

It all started on October 3, 2012, when Wasser came down with what she thought was the flu at a friend’s birthday party. After her friends told her she looked too sick to stay, the 24-year-old drove herself home to her Santa Monica apartment and went straight to sleep.

A week and a half later, she woke up in the hospital.

She had been placed in a medically induced coma at Saint John’s Health Center after police found her face down on her bedroom floor with a 107-degree fever.

“They had no idea why this young, healthy, 24-year-old active girl was plummeting,” she says.

Topic Author
admin
Администратор

15 Mar 2018, 13:54

Luckily, an infectious disease doctor had been on call at the hospital. He asked if Wasser had a tampon in — which she did — and the lab results revealed she had TSS. Although Wasser had changed her tampon multiple times the day she got sick, she ended up suffering a massive heart attack and developed gangrene. The condition affected her right leg so severely that doctors had to amputate it, but her left foot also had major damage.

“I didn’t have toes, and my heel was basically burnt off,” she says of her left foot. “They gave me a 50/50 chance then that I wouldn’t be able to have a functioning foot, [but] I gave them a big, ‘You’re not going to stop me.’ I kept my whole leg, and I knew God would get me through it. He did, and I saved it for as much as I could.”

Topic Author
admin
Администратор

15 Mar 2018, 13:56

She continues: “That was freedom in itself. That was the excitement, and that was what I had hoped for. Doing this amputation was getting rid of that pain and that suffering that I was dealing with and I was hiding.”

Wasser adds she will be even more “ready to go” once she gets her second gold prosthetic leg in a few weeks.
Ultimately Wasser says she is ready to embrace this new chapter of her life, one she hopes includes running a marathon and starting a family.

“I’m ready to just flourish, travel, jump in the ocean and just be a normal human being,” she says. “My 20’s were pretty painful. I think getting rid of my leg was getting rid of the past and getting ready for my journey ahead.”