Internet vs Reality

Forum rules
Communication only in English!!!
Messages in other languages will be deleted!!!

Topic Author
Taffdev
Интересующийся
Sex: male
Wales

Internet vs Reality

15 Aug 2018, 16:50

Anyone much under the age of 40 won't know what life was like for a devotee before the advent of the internet. Doubtless you will have read many of us "Olduns" declaring how we felt unique in our attraction to limb deficient women - I know I certainly did.

There was, so I believe, material in the form of books/magazines and some movies available - if you knew where to look or who to contact. However, unaware that I wasn't alone in my "Kink" it never occurred to me to go looking. So I had to content myself with the - all too rare - occasional sighting, news article on some tragic woman and my imagination.

Nowadays of course it's all different. With the click of a mouse or tapping of a few keys we can access a seemingly endless wealth of material from around the globe.

A raised awareness of amputees and acceptance that they are as much part of society as anyone - and rightly so - means they receive more mainstream media coverage.

Social media, coupled with this new open-mindedness, provides a steady stream of pretty young things parading their charms.

So everything's great - or is it? Certainly there's more material available, which from a devs point of view can only be good.

Personally I think the internet gives a false perspective of real life. I don't know the statistics but, thanks to advances in modern medicine and not withstanding conflict and natural disasters, I'd say there's probably fewer amputees around today than 20 years ago.

Yet the plethora of net based material would have us believe that seeing a vision on crutches or sporting a high tech skeletal leg is an everyday occurrence. IT'S NOT! In 50 years of being a dev I've only seen a handful of amps on crutches and, other than a couple of male amps, I've never seen a skeletal leg being used.

Thoughts anyone?

femalecripplesonly
Старожил
Sex: -
Germany

Re: Internet vs Reality

15 Aug 2018, 17:45

The times b.I. (before Internet) were very tough for men like us. Two - five „sightings“ per year, less tv-spots, mostly disabled sports, seldom with women. A picture in the newspaper were like lottery win. If then also an amputation stump was to be seen, you almost fainted. The picture was then kept well hidden for years. I observed for hours every day prosthetic centers, searched for pictures in medical books. Today I think sometimes the paradise is come: one click and a lot of stumps dangles in front of your nose.

Topic Author
Taffdev
Интересующийся
Wales

15 Aug 2018, 18:55

femalecripplesonly, I think you've summed up the "dark ages" admirably. Dire wasn't it?

Rdcwby

16 Aug 2018, 02:56

A lot of interesting thoughts and points, my friend!
I have to admit, I started classifying myself as a devotee only after the arrival of the Internet Age. Prior to that I never knew of the phenomena and wrote off my attraction as "That's interesting, yet screwy. Lets move on"

It was nice to learn that I'm not along, yet fundamentally that has not changed my life. Upon extensive and careful consideration I married a smart and beautiful yet "regular" (in our sense) girl realizing a chance that statistically meeting a peron that I see myself happy with is tough enough... chances of that person being an amputee are near zero. Selfish, I know.

And while Im happy with where I am, I am still a devotee. An admirer. "Being on a diet does not mean you can't browse that steakhouse menu". So I still read, write, draw and admire... and I still people watch. I would not stare at (or follow or harass) a beautiful asian girl (happen to be a fan of asians, go figure, Im as white as they make us), same goes for an amputee. I enjoy the moment and move on.

I wrote all that just to waste keystrokes, not to brag or judge. I would not do that. What I'm getting at was your next point: do we see more or fewer amputees today? And without knowing the numbers, I would speculate that it is roughly the same. It is rather rare to run into one, so my personal observation is, once I started to travel more, I started to see more ladies on crutches and on and with prosthesis at airports. Not every week, but often enough. Most recent one was the most unusual. My home airport in the States (lets just say it is in top 20 in the world). Lady was in a wheelchair being pushed by the airport assistant. She held her AK prosthesis as it was standing upright on the wheelchair footrest while she was wearing one of those silicone stump socks with ribbed surface and a metal tip. It is summer, so she wore shorts. I have no explanation to why she would do that (had to take the leg off to pass TSA and no time to put it back on is the best, yet the dumbest guess)...

So, we will see what the next trip brings, it is always fun to watch and observe people, if it happens to be a type of person we are particularly interested in, that is a huge bonus. Worth suffering through those 18 dollar airport cocktails and hours of flight delays. Maybe to up the ante I should head to Sturgis? When is the next rally?

Topic Author
Taffdev
Интересующийся
Wales

16 Aug 2018, 10:47

You too make some interesting observations Rdcwby, in many ways reflecting my own life experience. I also married two (over a thirty year period), normal (limb at all four corners) women. After my second divorce at 50, I concluded that if I wanted to "scratch that itch" whilst still young enough to enjoy it, then I'd have to make a concerted effort to find that special woman. Thanks to an internet dating site I succeeded and spent 9 years with a lovely RAK before she passed away earlier this year. Had I relied upon chance encounter I strongly suspect I would have remained a bachelor for those 9 years - so the net does have its uses.

You aren't the first to cite airports as a good hunting ground for amputee sightings - hardly a good turn of phrase, but I can't think of a better one at the moment. Admittedly I'm not a frequent flyer, but I've yet to see an amp - other than my wife - when I've flown, even though I pride myself on being able to spot a pair of crutches or unnatural gait at 100 paces.

I'm conscious of trying NOT to turn this into a "best place for sightings thread" and regale readers with the above simply to emphasise that amps, despite what the net would lead one to believe, remain an extremely rare species.

Out of pure interest I googled stats for leg amputations in the UK. To say the results were varied would be an understatement. 5000 in 2016 appeared to be the popular figure. That's about 0.01% of the population, male and female and includes all lower limb amputations i.e. from a toe up. I rest my case.

Rdcwby

17 Aug 2018, 05:25

Taffdev, thank you for sharing and I'm both very envious (in a good way) for these happy years of your life and truly very sorry for your loss!

By no means I was trying to set a precedent for a hunting ground thread! The only reason I have mentioned travel, is that it sure as hell increases diversity, hence somewhat supports my theory that percentage of special ladies remains roughly the same... and now you made me curious to where I want to see how my sightings match up (or don't) statistics.

It is very interesting and encouraging to hear that matchmaking site worked out for you in the past! I guess I have always been to sceptical of this approach and probably wrongfully so. May this serve as an encouragement to others (and maybe some day to me as well -- people do change!)

Cheers and thank you!

Topic Author
Taffdev
Интересующийся
Wales

17 Aug 2018, 08:02

Rdcwby, Thanks for your kind words. Now you've got me thinking, maybe I should start a thread re: Dating sites, and recount my experience.

Rdcwby

18 Aug 2018, 03:18

Taffdev, if you have time, it would be great to hear about you recounting experience you had with dating sites! The way I see life, any shared story, a data point, or an anecdote makes our existence more interesting and absolutely contributes to increase in entropy. And that is great! All mils self-directed sarcasm aside, I'm looking forward to see a new thread from you! Cheers!

Topic Author
Taffdev
Интересующийся
Wales

18 Aug 2018, 10:28

Rdcwby, give me a few days and I'll put pen to paper (so to speak) and do just that. Thanks for the encouragement.

femalecripplesonly
Старожил
Sex: -
Germany

18 Aug 2018, 14:54

Rdcwby wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 03:18
experience you had with dating sites!
dating sites for the disabled could be a chance to get a nice crippled companion. But there are also dangers. Devotees posing as crippled women, crippled women who hate devotees and so on. And the most of disabled women aren‘t really cripples, like amputees, paraplegics, cerebral palsies, spina bifidas or scoliotic women as well. The most female candidates suffers on muscular dystrophy or multiple sclerosis.