Devotees vs. fetishists

Forum rules
Communication only in English!!!
Messages in other languages will be deleted!!!

Topic Author
star_dust_sk
Новичок
Sex: male

Devotees vs. fetishists

15 Feb 2022, 16:26

KimberleyB, in her older article about devotee phenomenon, speaks about 4 categories of attraction related to disability - wannabes, pretenders, fetishists and devotees. First two are clear, of course, but she caught my attention by distinguishing between fetishists and actual devotees:
"Fetishists are only able to 'function' when a specific set of circumstances are met. Residual limb length or number of amputations, a certain level of paralysis, a particular type of brace, high heels etc.. - each one has his or her own basic requirement for enjoying life. Devotees are initially attracted to the disability, but liken it to breast size, eye color or other physical attributes. The amputation or other disability is an attraction trigger, but it's not a requirement for a relationship.
A number of studies claim that devotees are fetishists because they are attracted to the disability and while that may be the case, most researchers don't delve into the underlying reasons for the attraction. Many of these people have had positive early exposure to people with disabilities, such as parents or other family members or even people on television. The difference between devotees and fetishists lies in the fact that for one, a disability is a preference, but for the other, it's a requirement."

Honestly, I have never thought about it this way. For me it was always one, single group - devotees - as a sub-genre of fetishism. But the more I think about it, the more I tend to agree with Kim. There are definitely different types of admirers around here. When going through older topics, I came across reactions like "Manobanda's stump is too long for me", "Scarlett's stump is clumsy", "Lauren might want to consider plastic surgery to remove that [ugly] scar", etc.

On one hand, I clearly understand the point of looking at the stump from the aesthetic point of view. On the other hand, I don't really get it why it should change [my] attraction to the given lady. For me it doesn't work this way. Stump is a stump, it makes the lady hop around, or butt-walk, or use feet instead hands, or whatever - but that's all. Scarred or not, long or short (or even none at all) - she would hop around exactly the same and thus grab my heart the same. In other words, the stump doesn't make her pretty in my eyes (and nicer stump wouldn't make her even prettier), it just makes her more attractive to me. What makes her really pretty, then, is her face, bosom, figure, shapely leg, ass... all those ordinary woman's arms, and not the stump itself.

That makes me fit into Kimberley's definition of devotee and not really a fetishist. What do you think, is it the same or not? Do you agree with her? If so, do you see yourself as fetishist or devotee? I'm quite curious what the ratio would be :-)

CNLexi
Житель
Sex: female
Ваш Знак зодиака: Весы

Re: Devotees vs. fetishists

15 Feb 2022, 17:31

An interesting point of view. Clears a lot for people new to the subject

Patrz, mój synu - kry płyną wśród bezbrzeżnej rzeki - nad nią drzewa z gałęzi obcięte - kaleki.
Patrz, mój synu - nie wody szumią, lecz pacierze - nie kry płyną - lecz z sztandarów obdarci rycerze.

dennisrichard
Sex: -

Re: Devotees vs. fetishists

16 Feb 2022, 01:04

In my opinion, the difference between both terms lies in the fact that the word devotee is used by the community to assume an interest considered benign and legitimate towards people with disabilities.
In my case I consider myself more of a fetishist, most of my childhood every year there was a girl with a hurt foot at my school and that attracted me, not the cast but the fact that they needed crutches to walk.
At 13 or 14 I wandered thinking about how a person could maintain that condition permanently, I was not attracted to amputations or polio.
Then at 17 I became sexually active and I thought my brain had played a trick on me, I really forgot all about it. Finally, at the end of the nineties, when the internet became massive, I rediscovered by chance that I had not been alone, and little by little I realized that the aesthetic of a girl with only one leg and crutches was the closest thing to my adolescent fantasy.
I am convinced that all this is a fantasy, I have never had contact with disabled people, nor have I looked for it, by chance I do not think it will happen, only sometimes I remember that peculiar taste and whether it is curiosity or morbidity I go to the internet to catch up. I am convinced that in another situation or context I could have ended up enjoying secretly listening to how my neighbor washes the dishes or feeling deep ecstasy while someone choked me.
The brain makes jokes and they are of many kinds, but life is out there.