Letters to the magazine "London Life" 1924-1941

Forum rules
Communication only in English!!!
Messages in other languages will be deleted!!!

Topic Author
Bazil
Старожил
Sex: male
Russia

Re: Letters to the magazine "London Life" 1924-1941

03 Feb 2018, 10:47

Limbless People I Have Met (Part 2)
by Wallace Stort
Though the one-legged girl in general is, of course, not quite a curiosity in our streets, restaurants, theatres, etc, the pretty, attractive, smartly dressed girl so handicapped is by no means common. One encounters such girls at rare intervals; but when one does meet them, one always seems to get the same impression about them. I won't go so far as to say that in every case they take a kind of morbid pleasure in showing off their "incomplete charms" to quote a phrase that seems to have captured the imagination of one-legged lady readers of "London Life" — but it certainly seems so in some cases, while in others there is at least no evidence of any wish to hide the loss of a leg.
I have often observed — and I dare say other readers who are interested in this subject will bear me out — that a pretty one-legged girl will often be more daring in her dress than the ordinary normally formed girl, going in for the extremes of fashion skirts barely reaching the knee, filmy flesh coloured stockings, the frailest and most open of extremely high heeled slippers, etc — all of which must necessarily attract very general attention to the wearer.
A sensation in a restaurant
I remember the mild sensation that was caused in a well known West End restaurant a couple of years ago by the entrance of an extremely pretty girl and her boy one evening. The girl was most daringly dressed in a slim, formfitting very brief frock of some delicate, filmy stuff, below which was revealed, from just above the knee, only one slender, silken leg and a small, satin-slippered foot. Her small, closely shingled head was held up with a sort of pert, amused insouciance as she swung gracefully and easily on a pair of dainty, white enamelled crutches, and it was only too evident that she enjoyed the little sensation she caused. I was convinced that here was a situation in which the girl was completely aware of the subtle fascination she exercised, and found a funny, but normal pleasure in making the best of it.
Travelling one-legged girl
By the way, in this connection, I wonder if the very pretty, always attractively dressed little Jewess, about nineteen, whom I encountered quite half-a-dozen times during last summer, and always on a very late tube train, is a reader of "London Life"?
If she is, I hope she won't mind my introducing her into this article, and perhaps she might be induced to send a few lines about herself to the correspondence columns?
She uses only a single, slenderly built, black, polished crutch, on which she swings quite expertly, and her costumes have all been of the very smartest, close fitting, coat and skirt type, the coat short and tight, and the skirt short and tighter. The skirt barely touches the kneecap of her only leg — a rather plump, but quite shapely limb, clad in a thin silk stocking of that rose-brown shade that has for some time been superseding flesh colour, a very low patent leather pump with a heel a little above the normal height clinging tightly to a small, fleshy foot.
She cannot but be conscious of the general attention she attracts, and I have a very shrewd idea that she rather enjoys the undisguised interest interest of her fellow-travellers. Perhaps, if she reads these lines she will tell us what are her feelings and opinions about the matter?
A strange experience
Reference to this attractive little Jewess reminds me of an odd little experience I had about three years ago, when a business matter took me one evening down Whitechapel way.
Round an open door in a side street were gathered four or five Jewish girls and boys, talking and larking together. All were dressed in that extremely smart fashion that is so characteristic of young Jews in London the girls in short, tight costumes, with plump shapely legs displayed in flesh— coloured silk stockings.
An organ was playing jazz tunes close by, and the party, breaking up into couples, danced to the music. One girl standing in the doorway, looked on laughing for a while, and then one of the boys, snatching at her arm, dragged her into the street and jigged away with her.
It was only then that I saw that the girl had only one leg and had, up to then, been standing leaning against the doorway, unsupported by crutches. She was laughing a good deal, but managed to keep up with her partner, hopping quite easily in time to the music.
I paused for a while to watch the unusual and fascinating performance, and when at last dancing was finished, the girl stood in the street with the others, quite easily balanced on her single leg.
Daintily poised on one leg like a bird
Very similar, in its way, was the case of the pretty young housewife I once saw brushing the doorstep of her little villa in one of the brand new suburbs that are springing up in the outskirts of London. She, too was very daintily poised on only a single shapely leg, very well displayed by her short skirt, and as she used her brush she hopped blithely about in a fascinating effortless manner.
I am usually rather sceptical of the stories one reads of tremendously high heels, supposedly worn by lady devotees of this fashion. I'm afraid I can't quite swallow these seven and eight inch heels one is told about, and certainly I have never come across them at any time in any country. But the highest heel I ever saw was on the slipper of a one-legged lady. That heel I imagine was at least five or six inches high, but I was surprised to learn that it was no more than four inches.
Dominated the drawing room.

Topic Author
Bazil
Старожил
Russia

03 Feb 2018, 11:49

The lady in question I met some years ago at a studio party given by an artist friend of mine, and she was certainly one of the dominating figures in a room crowded with interesting personalities. She was a magnificent, Junoesque woman, somewhere about forty, still strikingly beautiful, with a swelling, voluptuous bust and curving figure that would be very dйmodй to— day, but was, all the same, very striking and imposing.
She reclined on a couch throughout the evening, receiving her many friends like a queen of old. Her gown of form-fitting, clinging silk, though it was long and sweeping, was draped revealingly about her figure, and showed only too obviously that she had only one leg, and, in fact, made it plain that the other leg was completely absent from the hip, as the supple silk fell emptily on one side just by the hip joint, without revealing any suggestion of a stump. From the draped skirt there emerged coquettishly a neat silken ankle and shapely foot, on which was the wonderful slipper with the high tapering heel and with four thin jewelled bars crossing the very high, swelling in-step — an the whole ensemble was most intriguing and fascinating.
Sought after by artists
I understood that the lady had been a favourite model of many famous artists until an accident had resulted in the complete loss of her leg. She never used crutches, by the way, and, in fact, never walked, but spent her time either on her couch or in her bath-chair, being carried from one to the other when necessary.
She referred to herself — with quite cheerful resignation, it should be added — as broken and cast aside; but I was sure she was quite appreciative of the attention she attracted, and she enjoyed the whole thing immensely.
I should imagine that the type of limbless girl one most rarely meets — outside a circus side-show or fair, of course — is the completely armless girl. In the article on limbless beauties referred to at the beginning of the present article, I dealt at some length with a case that came within my own experience, as I happened, as a boy, to be friendly with a family the youngest daughter of which was born without arms. I was privileged to be present at her wedding, and witnessed her signature written with her toes. But this is the only case of an armless girl living privately with which I have ever come into personal contact.
Armless girl's wedding
Early last year a pretty armless girl of nineteen was married in the North of England, and she was quite a well-known figure in the little town in which she lived. She even assisted her father in his small tobacconist's business, and attracted a lot of customers by the fact that she served the cigarettes, etc, very neatly with her foot.
In America, too, there are at present several cases of armless school girls attending ordinary mixed schools and mingling quite freely with the ordinary normally formed scholars. But, in spite of these isolated examples, the fact remains that girls of this type are seldom, if ever casually encountered.
This is not altogether the case with girls who have lost both legs. I have run across quite a number of girls in bath or wheeled chairs, of whom I had he impression that they were quite legless, though I could not always be quite sure. In a few cases, however, the fact was only too obvious. Only a year ago I saw a pretty flapper carried past me as I sat in a stall at a matinee at the London Coliseum, and I also saw her carried out to a waiting saloon car after the performance. And it was abundantly evident, by the way her brief skirt fell in slack, empty folds from the hips, that she was entirely without legs. She chatted quite gaily with her mother who carried her — I took it it was her mother who carried her and was a very charming, happy-looking girl, despite her great handicap.
Happy though handicapped
Another laughing girl similarly handicapped I remember meeting nearly every day during a short holiday at Bournemouth a few years ago. Sitting in a wheeled chair which was propelled by a boy I supposed was her fiancй, as she wore an engagement ring, she appeared every morning on the front of the pier, to listen to the band. The bright-coloured rug that was tucked about her did not disguise the fact that she was legless, as nothing at all appeared below it, and, in fact, the rug very frequently revealed, by its close fit about the hips, and its empty slackness below, that the girl was without legs from the hips, and very probably had not even stumps.
The pair was always the object of general and sympathetic interest, but neither appeared in the least concerned, and seemed to be very gay and happy in each other's company. People who professed to know about her said she had been born without legs, but I never definitely learned whether this was actually so or not.
I have reserved for the last an experience which intrigued and mystified me at the time of its occurrence and which, I fancy, will be equally puzzling to the readers. It may be thought that the whole episode is pure fiction, but I assure sceptical readers that it actually happened exactly as related.
A Kensington puzzle
While home on leave during the early years of the war I happened one evening to pass a broad, aristocratic Kensington street. In front of a large, porticoed mansion stood a luxurious saloon car. As I drew near, a man and a girl, both clad in evening dress, descended the stairs and approached the car. With a sudden thrill I saw that the girl swung along on a pair of neat crutches and below her long, enveloping silk wrap only a single shapely silk-clad leg was revealed. And then the astonishing thing happened.
Just as I reached the pair, a sudden gust of wind blew open the girl's wrap, and I had a swift momentary glimpse of her figure. And the amazing thing was that the girl, except for her wrap, was clad only in flesh— coloured silk tights. For just that moment I saw, sharply outlined in the gathering dusk, the slim neat figure, the shapely leg and the rounded stump. Then the wrap was hastily gathered about the body and the couple hurried into the waiting car which glided smoothly on its way.
I went on my way intensely intrigued by what I had seen, and trying to find a satisfactory explanation of the girl's appearance in such an extraordinary costume. Was she dressed for a fancy dress dance? I almost thought so. One can imagine the the consternation that would be aroused in an ordinary ballroom by the appearance of a pretty one-legged girl thus clad!
Was she an acrobat or stage artist setting out for the theatre — yet that was not an entirely satisfactory explanation. In the meantime I don't think she would have been staying at the highly elegant and rich Kensington mansion; and, in addition, I had not heard of any one-legged artist appearing on the stage at that or any other time. She may, of course, have been bound for a private party. If so, it must have been a very peculiar and bizarre affair, full of wonders, in that connection, I would like to know how the other costumes were looking.
However, I leave the fascinating subject. Interested readers my easily try to puzzle out the riddle of the beautiful one-legged girl by themselves.

Topic Author
Bazil
Старожил
Russia

03 Feb 2018, 11:52

London Life April 20, 1929 p. 22
Happy On One Leg
Dear Sir, — I am writing to say how very much I appreciate the the article on "One-Legged Girls" which have appeared in your entertaining weekly.
It would appear as if there are quite a number of your lady readers who have lost one or more limbs and all seem to derive much pleasure from these stories, etc.
I lost my right leg at the hip-joint about five years ago, so I can fully appreciate any letter or article referring to this fascinating subject.
Life on one leg is quite different from having two shapely limbs or walk about on, although it can provide very delightful experiences if taken in the right light.
I do not think a girl with only one leg need hide away from curious eyes but rather that she will have a great deal of pleasure in her one— leggedness if she will mix with others in the normal way.
I also think that a one-legged girl should wear a high heeled shoe or boot, as this adds greatly to her natural fascination and also tends to give her a feeling of dainty treat.
I do not wish to encroach upon your valuable space unduly, but I should like to prevail upon you to publish some more stories by Wallace Stort, with illustrations by your charming artist, Enid Stanton as I think (and have been told by others) that this is a feature of your entertaining paper.
Yours truly,
Hoppy Typist.

London Life May 25, 1929 p. 34
Happy Though Legless
Dear Sir, — thank you very much for publishing readers' letters and stories by Wallace Stort on the fascination of the one-legged girl. The letters are most interesting, and W. Stort's articles are par excellence. I hope you will continue to include more of these items from time to time.
Most of your interested lady readers want particulars of other limbless girls, so I will proceed to tell you something of my mistress and myself.
When I was twelve years old I was knocked down one day by a car, and my right leg was so severely damaged as to necessitate its amputation at about three inches from the hip-joint. Of course, my parents were very distressed by this apparent blighting of my life, but I soon recovered from the effects of the operation and shock, and, always being of a cheerful and optimistic disposition, I began to settle down to hopping from place to place, or using a light crutch, and in about six months later I had become quite used to my new condition. I had then achieved much success as regards a perfect balance and a certain daintiness of movement that I took a keen delight in showing on my abilities and dexterity on one leg to all and sundry.
Well, time went on until, at the age of eighteen, I was a very good specimen of a charming one-legged girl.
Then a friend of mine wrote to me, saying that she knew a lady who wanted a maid, but the applicant must be a girl who had lost a leg but, despite her handicap, must still be graceful and pretty. My friend also hinted that I should apply for the situation. I gave the matter careful consideration, and decided to try my luck.
I put on my shortest silk frock, which ended an inch or more above my knee, a silver-gray silk stocking, a beautiful patent one-bar shoe with 3 1/2 Louis heel, and a blue coat and hat. Then, taking my slender black crutch, I set off to interview the lady at the address given in the letter.
I was wondering all the way why anyone should want a one-legged maid; and when I reached the house, which was a considerable distance from my home, I had not found a reasonable answer. My ring was answered by a pretty girl of about twenty year's, and she asked me inside, as her mistress was at home. After waiting for a few minutes I was ushered into a richly furnished room, where an exceedingly beautiful young lady (I found out later that she was 26) sat in a chair.
I was taking in her beautiful face and figure, when I received a shock which made me gasp; for below her scanty frock only one pretty leg was shown, and her tight silk dress sagged loosely below her left hip, showing only too plainly that her left leg was almost entirely absent, a small stump being all that she possessed.
We introduced ourselves, and I held out my hand and was again to receive a shock when she smilingly said:
"I... er... I'm afraid I can't shake hands in the... er... conventional manner. You see, I have no right hand. Please accept my left hand, my dear."
This I did in a half-dreamy manner, while I noted that her right arm was completely absent. In fact, on closer inspection I discovered that her frock, a pale pink creation in lovely silk, had no right sleeve at all, the right side being completely sewn up all the way.
We seemed to take to each other immediately, and she engaged me at once; and before the evening came we were more like chums than mistress and maid.
I have learned since that she was born with only one arm, and her leg has been amputated when she was a girl, owing to a fall from a bicycle, which cut a piece out of her knee. This afterwards turned septic, and an amputation was performed which left her a neat little round stump.
She has a fair amount of money and has a good house, and her wardrobe is exquisite. Her pet fascinations are pretty undies and high heels. Her shoes are all fashioned with heels of from 3 inch to 6 inch in height, all of which she has made specially for her; a queer kink which she has is responsible for the fact that her camis have only one leg, and all her dresses and coats have only one sleeve.
My chief duties are to assist her to dress and to wait on her meals. While in the house I usually hop around, except when waiting at table, when I use a single crutch with great skill.
My mistress has a charming gift of balance, and can hop around or stand still, daintily poised on her single leg with effortless ease while wearing a shoe with a 6 inch Spanish-Louis heel. This is a feat which affords her great pleasure and causes me to express my feelings of delight and appreciation.
We have had many glorious adventures together (for I accompany her everywhere), and I can assure you that there is a wonderful understanding between us, such as can be only between two persons who confide in each other and revel in the same sensations. I am afraid, if you think this worth printing, it will take a lot of your valuable space; but I thought it would interest your readers and give them room for criticism as regards the life of a one-legged girl.
I can honestly say that since my association with this charming young lady I have never regretted my loss of a well shaped leg. I am shortly to marry a splendid young man.
Wishing your journal all the success it so richly deserves, and expressing my hopes of seeing more of Wallace Stort's work and reader letters shortly,
Yours sincerely, Mono High-Heeler.

Topic Author
Bazil
Старожил
Russia

03 Feb 2018, 11:53

London Life July 27, 1929 p. 46
Happy Though Crippled
Dear Sir, — I should like to say how pleased I have been to read the letters from one-legged girls which you have published in your ever— interesting paper.
I, too, have lost my right leg at the hip joint, so I can appreciate the remarks of others in a similar position. I am sure a girl with only one leg can be quite as charming as a normal girl, if she will only try to fit herself into her old place and act as if it were quite a natural thing for a girl to wear only one silk stocking and one high-heeled shoe.
I have always found that having only one leg does not interfere in any way with my enjoyment and pleasures. I always try to join in any game I may be asked and fall in with any pleasure party, etc, which may be formed by my boy or girlfriends.
May I be allowed to suggest that you try to include another story by Wallace Stort in your Summer number? I am certain this would prove a huge success. I did so enjoy the "Le Moignon d'Or" and "Dr. Nicholas" that I am longing to see another of Mr. Stort's wonderful stories of limbless heroines.
Yours sincerely, Elsie Simmond

London Life October 26, 1929 p. 43
Admires Wallace Stort's Stories
Dear Sir, — Thank you very much for publishing another story by Wallace Stort in your ever popular weekly. This promises to be very interesting in the next instalment when I suppose "Fйlice" will take "Tony" to "Le Phйnomиne". I can assure you that I keep my eyes open for the number which contains it.
I should like to take this opportunity of thanking your numerous one-legged girl readers for the splendid way in which they have answered my appeal for letters. It is astonishing how many of your lady readers possess only one leg and one arm. It shows how people will buy a paper that has a special interest for them, and I am convinced that the one-legged stories by Wallace Stort are eagerly sought by this section of your patrons.
It gives me very great pleasure to read how most of your limbless ladies appreciate the wonderful effect produced by a high heeled shoe or boot on a girl's only foot.
It's a proved fact that a high heel produces such a charming grace and daintiness of step that a girl who has one leg only immediately attracts the attention of all to the graceful way in which she swings along on her crutch or crutches.
I have proved that Wallace Stort is right about a single crutch. A one— legged girl who uses only one crutch seems to hold a wonderful fascination over all and sundry.
I think I shall have a one-piece dress made like the one worn by "Fйlice" in the story recently published. It does sound rather daring, but it will be a great thrill for my young man when I display my figure to him to my best advantage. My! What a thrill for any man!
I think I have wasted enough of your valuable space so au revoir for the present. I hope you will soon publish the next "La Belle Monopede" story.
Yours truly, Only A One-Legged Girl

Topic Author
Bazil
Старожил
Russia

03 Feb 2018, 11:56

London Life December 7, 1929 p. 26
High Boots Disguise Deformity
Dear Sir, — I have read with great interest the letters published in your journal from one-legged girl readers. My own case might be of interest. I am in possession of both my lower limbs, but the right leg, owing to hip trouble, is over 9 inches short.
Until two or three years ago I used to hide my trouble as well as possible by ankle-high skirts; but as Fashion ordained shorter and shorter ones, I at last decided that I would wear very short skirts and look as attractive as I could.
To do this I obtained a pair of smart laced 4 inch heeled shoes, and had a special high shoe constructed to pattern by a West End firm of surgical boot-makers. I may say it was very expensive, but well worth it. I have a 9 inch cork sole, while the heel is 13 1/2 inches in height and, due to clever workmanship, is nearly as slender and dainty as the heels shown in some of your published photographs.
After a few practice walks at night I emerged boldly with my short frocks and high shoe. I enjoy the increased height given me by the 4 inch heel, while the high shoe has certainly possessed me of attractiveness and male admirers are numerous. I have found walking to be easier, and can easily walk for a whole evening without discomfort.
I attempted a short while ago to have made a high heel evening shoe with a ten inch sole and a 15 1/2 inch heel to wear it with a 5 inch evening shoe, but I was told that it would be hardly possible to make this satisfactory, as my size in shoes is 4 only.
I think very little of my trouble as the limb requires no aid from irons and, except for a little inconvenience when sitting in public conveyances, I am never reminded of my shortcomings.
I shall never regret my decision to show my limb with short skirts, and would advise any readers of "London Life" similarly placed to do the same.
To please a great friend of mine I occasionally insert a cork elevator of 1 inch into my shoes for home wear. He thinks that the effect of elevation on the shape of the foot is very great and I am in full agreement, although with my infirmity I can hardly wear them out of doors. But do any of your devotees of very high heels give think of making use of elevators?
Yours faithfully, High — Booter

London Life February 15, 1930
Mr. Stort Please Reply
Dear Sir, — I am a new reader of "London Life", and while I was reading the Xmas number, I came across the story written by Mr Wallace Stort. I am writing on the off chance to know if this story is really true. If it is, will you please give me the address of the writer?
Another thing I would like to ask you before closing this note — will you please ask Mr Wallace Stort if he will write some more stories as such as he can for "London Life"?
Yours truly, Kirkie, India

London Life March 8, 1930 p. 27
Fiction On Truth Founded
Dear Sir, — May I, through the medium of your columns, offer my grateful thanks to the many readers who have written to say such kind things not only about my latest work in the Xmas number, but also of the others of the same type which preceded it.
It is gratifying to learn that so many readers are able to find pleasure in these somewhat strange stories of mine, particularly the many charming one— legged lady readers whose interest in the stories is, actually, a very personal one.
I can't help feeling flattered, too, that so many readers ask for more stories in this vein, one writing from so far away as India. I can only assure your Indian reader, "Kirkie", and all the other charming people interested that I shall do my very best to please them in the future as well as I tried to do in the past.
As for "Kirkie's" query whether the story in the Xmas number was true or not — well, of course, the story was written as fiction, but it was mainly based on a substratum of truth I possess documentary evidence that a club such as was described in that story (as also in another story of mine that appeared in "London Life" — "At the Moignon d'Or" -) did actually exist on the Continent before the war. I don't know if any such clubs exist to-day, but I suspect they do.
I am personally acquainted with several very charming and pretty ladies who are quite "happy on one leg", and one, who enjoys life to the best without any legs at all! One very pretty girl in particular, who is a quite intimate friend of mine, has recently confessed that she finds an obvious, quite inexplicable pleasure in being one-legged, and has no desire to be otherwise than she is! I can say that she is the charming person of the heroines of all my stories.
All this may appear utterly incredible to many readers, but it is perfectly true all the same. And with that I must end, as I have run to greater lengths than I had intended.
With every wish for your continued success,
Yours faithfully,
Wallace Stort

Topic Author
Bazil
Старожил
Russia

03 Feb 2018, 11:57

London Life August 16, 1930 p. 77
Fact Stranger Than Fiction
Dear Sir, — Wallace Stort's recent excellent story has moved me to write to you concerning my own experiences.
On a very hot day in July of last year I was lounging on the sands in a quiet bay in South Devon, still attired in my bathing costume after a dip, when suddenly my heart leapt within me; for making their way along the sands were two girls who had evidently undressed behind the rocks for a bathe.
Both girls had on scanty bathing costumes. One was fair and shingled and had a perfect complexion and a figure like Venus, except in one respect. Her left leg was slim and shapely, but all she had for a right leg was a plump, rounded stump about 5 inches long, the bare outline of which was startlingly revealed. She swung along on a single crutch with an alluringly clinging sway delightful to behold.
Her companion, dark and beautiful of face and figure, was scarcely less striking, for she, too, had only a left leg. She differed from her friend, however, in that her stump was longer and that she walked with the aid of a neat wooden peg leg.
Both girls proved quite good swimmers, despite their disability, particularly the fair girl.
Could I summon upon sufficient courage to make their acquaintance? The question was settled for me, for suddenly the fair beauty threw up her hands in obvious distress. Fortunately, I am a strong swimmer, and managed to bring her to the shore without trouble beyond losing my breath.
After that I had the best holiday I have ever had, and my joy was complete when Muriel (for that was her name) confessed her love for me. We hope to get married later this year.
In a fortnight's time Ada, who is the beautiful wooden-legged brunette I have already referred to, is herself to be married, and Muriel is to be one of the bridesmaids.
Perhaps if you think this letter is interesting enough to publish I will send a description of the wedding. Ada always wears a wooden leg, which she declares to be more useful, and just as neat as a slim crutch. Often the four of us have had friendly disputes as to their respective merits. What do your readers say?
I must apologize for having made this letter so long, but the subject is very interesting to one-legged ladies and the large class of men, who find one-legged ladies so fascinating.
In conclusion, please let us have another story by Wallace Stort as soon as possible. The intervals between them are much too long. A great many of your readers would appreciate a story every month.
Yours faithfully, Roy II

London Life November 1, 1930 p. l9
Startling Facts About Limbless Beauties
Strange Examples Of Curious Kinks
by C. Dale
A good deal has been written in "London Life" from time to time regarding the phenomenon called by psychologists fetishism, and it is evident from the number of letters that have appeared from young ladies who lack one or more limbs that they take a great deal of interest in their own limbless condition and are at pains to discover the effect of their disabilities upon other people.
The attraction that a girl may have for a certain type of man because she is physically different from others of her s*ex is by no means confined to those who are seriously disabled. For instance, a man of my acquaintance simply cannot bear slim women. I honestly believe it is, to him, an absolute penance to have to remain in the same room with one for any length of time.
A Curious Kink
Again, I observed that whatever girl another male friend was in company with, she always wore glasses. One day I teased him with a fondness for the society of girls with poor eyesight, and he admitted that what I had guessed was correct. In fact he went so far as to say that unless a girl wore spectacles — the thicker the lenses the better — her society was of little interest for him. He could not say why. He was just built like that.
About eighteen months ago he got married and, although I have not yet met his wife, she is described to me as a "tall blonde who wears rimless spectacles with lenses as thick as five shilling pieces."
The Attraction Of Blindness
During and after the war several cases occurred of girls marrying blind soldiers. Generally these girls had either nursed their future husbands in hospital or had been their companions during their convalescence. But a case occurred recently in a town in the Midlands where a young man fell in love with a beautiful blind girl and, in spite of protests and advice from both parents and friends, eventually married her. They are, I believe, perfectly happy.
Having always been interested in anomalies of s*ex appeal, I have made a habit of following up any cases brought to my notice.
The following two examples of men being attracted by, and marrying wives who have major physical deficiencies, and, what is more, who appear to derive some more than ordinary thrill from their wives incomplete charms, are worthy of note.
A little while ago I was staying in the Taj Mahal Hotel, in Bombay, when I met a girl whom I had not met since the war. We had been nursing in the same hospital in London and were close friends, though we had lost touch with each other when the war ended. She told me that she was living with her brother, a cotton broker, in Bombay, and that their house was at Malabar Hill.
Oh, What A Surprise!

Topic Author
Bazil
Старожил
Russia

03 Feb 2018, 11:58

Refusing to take "No" for an answer, she insisted on my spending the rest of my time in Bombay as their guest.
We arrived at their house just in time to change for dinner, and while I was finishing dressing, Mary, my friend, came and chatted. She told me that her brother's wife was a Dane but that she spoke good English. She also said that they were giving a small dinner party that night, and if I noticed anything peculiar about my hostess's appearance not to make any remark. She then left me wondering what it was all about.
When I entered the drawing-room the other guests — three men and two women — had arrived, and I was introduced to Mrs W., my hostess. She was a very pretty fair-haired women of about 30, with dark eyes and eyebrows. She was wearing a charming and, as was then the fashion, very short evening frock of wine-coloured taffeta, which displayed to advantage a pair of the shapeliest legs I have ever seen.
She was standing in the middle of the room talking to her guests, who seemed to be old friends, and I was wondering what Mary had expected me to see odd in her sister-in-law's appearance, when the Indian butler announced that dinner was served.
The guests trooped into the dining-room, and as they went Mr W. walked over to his wife and picked her up in his arms, leaving her legs still standing on the floor!
I spite of Mary's warning, I must have shown a certain amount of surprise; but Mrs W. smiled gaily at me and waved me on into the dining-room, where Mr W. having deposited his wife in a wheeled chair at the table, the dinner proceeded as though nothing unusual had happened.
A Terrible Accident.
For the rest of my stay with them Mrs W. remained, during her indoor waking hours, in her wheeled chair. She was very good company and, despite her appalling physical handicap, was always very cheery.
One night Mary told me all about her.
At the age of 14 she had met with a motor accident and has lost her left leg at the thigh. Five years later, travelling with her parents to the Riviera, she was in a terrible railway accident near Lyon and, as a result, had lost her other leg, also at the thigh. Mary's brother had met her when on a yachting trip in Denmark and, in spite of — or, more probably, because of her disability, had fallen in love with her and had eventually married her and brought her out to share his fortunes in the East.
The trick she played on me — all the other guests being old friends were au fait with the joke — the first evening was one in which she occasionally rejoiced with newcomers to the house.
The Secret Of Her Legs
The shapely understandings which I had admired so much were of wood clad in shoes and stockings and fixed upon a thin steel plate pedestal painted to represent a small rug. Her legless trunk rested in a cup-shaped receptacle fixed on top of her legs and, being covered, of course, by the skirts of the frock, completed the illusion.
Mrs W. was totally without embarrassment regarding her unusual condition and often made laughing references in her rather quaint English to herself as "The legless wonder". Once she said, "I am more interesting without my legs. They are fat — oh, so fat!"
The other case to which I referred was in some ways just as extraordinary as that mentioned above, and brought out fetishism in a form hitherto unknown to me.
It was in Geneva, where I was visiting a sister working in the League of Nations secretariat.
She is a keen musician, and among her friends was the wife of a well-known German-Swiss musician violinist, herself an accomplished pianist. Frau H.'s story, as told by my sister, is as follows:
When she was about 20 years old she met with an accident which necessitated the amputation of her right leg five inches below the knee, and also the front portion of her left foot, leaving only the heel.
Two years after she met Herr H., a young man a few years her senior, who heard her play, fell in love with and duly married her.
She had been fitted with an artificial right leg, and wore a specially made boot on her left foot; and these, when she was sitting down, effectually concealed her disability. She had, however, great difficulty in walking, and never succeeded in doing so in comfort without a crutch.
A Legless Pianist
A further difficulty was that owing to the fact that she had no independent control over the movements of either foot she could not properly manipulate the piano pedals, and was even more seriously handicapped as regards the organ. Furthermore, she could no longer drive a car, owing to similar difficulties with the brake and clutch pedals.
At last her husband solved the problem for her. For the specially shaped boot for her left foot he had made another boot, almost cylindrical in shape, which fitted the stump closely and laced almost to the knee. For her artificial right leg he substituted a very light aluminium peg-leg the exact size and shape as the stump of her left leg. On this was laced a boot to match that on her left leg, giving both limbs a symmetrical appearance.
The result of these changes is that, with the exception of walking, for which she still has to use a crutch, Frau H. can manipulate both piano and car pedals with ease. On the latter her husband has had fitted narrow detachable troughs in which the booted extremities of her legs can rest without fear of their slipping off the pedals.
Her new substitutes for feet, being much lighter than before, she finds even walking, though of course still with crutches, much easier.
To say that Frau H. was sensitive or tried to conceal her physical disabilities in any way would be to give an entirely wrong impression. She fairly seemed to flaunt them, and now regards her lack of feet rather as an interesting phenomenon which attracts for her a good deal of notice than a handicap.
As for her husband, he seems to be absolutely fascinated by the results his fertile brain has achieved, and encourages his wife to display her artificial limbs as much as possible.
As an example, my sister and I called to see them one evening, and found Frau H., as usual, at her beloved piano. It was after dinner and she wore a very smart and very short navy blue silk frock.
For a below the knee amputation, as some readers probably know, the artificial limb consists of a wooden, leather or metal socket, into which the stump fits and from which metal hinges on either side of the knee protrude into into a stout leather 'corset' laced round the wearer's thigh.
In Frau H.'s case the metal hinges were enamelled blue and matched the blue silk stump stockings she was wearing. Her tight-fitting laced boots completed a tout ensemble which, although bizarre, was not inelegant.
As we entered the room, Frau H. seized her crutch and hurried to greet us without a shade of embarrassment, and when I came to know her better I could not help admiring this sunny-natured woman who made light of what to many another would have been a soul destroying misfortune.

Topic Author
Bazil
Старожил
Russia

03 Feb 2018, 12:00

London Life February 14, 1931 p. 26
High-Heeled And One-Legged
Dear Sir, — I have often noticed in your paper letters from readers, both men and women, describing the delights of wearing high heels, and I think my experience would be of interest to your readers.
I have always been very fond of wearing very high heels, but about four years ago I lost my leg in an accident — I was not wearing high heels at the time, so they cannot be blamed for the accident.
During my convalescence I resolved not to give myself up to a life on crutches and low heels, and as soon a I left hospital and could use crutches, I resumed my high heels — now only one heel, though.
I found I could manage quite well with a heel four inches high, and had an ordinary peg leg made to fit my height when wearing the leg and ordinary low heel for working in, the peg was too long to walk on, so I had to resort to crutches again.
However, the leg was very comfortable, as it had a rubber pad on he end to lessen the noise as it met the ground, and a rubber pad in the socket for my stump to rest on. I had to use a stick to walk on, of course.
I now use elbow crutches, as I find that they do not distort my figure so much as the kind which fit under the arm and I can wear my single high heel with comfort, and in the evening indoors I can manage a five inch heel, but cannot walk more than a few paces on it.
I do not wear my high heels in the streets, as my solitary leg already attracts more attention than I care about, but I never wear a heel less than two and a half inches high, and for the same reason I do not wear very short dresses out of doors, as my leg is taken off at the knee, so my stump would be visible, so therefore I only wear a very short skirt in the house and in company with intimate friends, and then my stump in the upper half of the black stocking is no commented on.
All my shoes are of patent leather and my stockings are of black silk.
Some of your readers also describe the delights of being perched on tip toe, but let them wear a five inch heel and stand on one leg, and even then they do not feel as I do, as they can always put the other foot to the ground and keep the balance.
I have never yet seen a letter in your paper from a one-legged wearer of high heels, or even an article describing a one-legged girl. Surely there must be some besides myself.
Yours truly, Helen Fivetoes

London Life March 14, 1931 p. 27
Happy On One High Heel
Dear Sir, — My wife and I were very interested in the article of "Helen Fivetoes", who had the misfortune to lose her leg in an accident.
Five years ago my wife met with a similar accident and, being also very fond of wearing high heels, she determined as soon as she was able to resort to wearing them (now, alas! one only). It took many months of patient endeavour to do this, as my wife has a well-developed figure, as she required (and still requests) my assistance, as she prefers to wear the peg leg I have fitted for her (similar to your correspondent) to using the crutches, which she finds are apt to chafe her at times.
The wooden leg which she wears, and which is easily detached, is lightly sprung at the stump, and well padded and, being gracefully turned and highly polished ebony, looks well with the black silk hose which she usually wears.
At home and with intimate friends she likes to sport a more elaborately shaped leg which I had specially made, and which is finished in a cream coloured glossy enamel to match the light-coloured silk stockings which she then wears; and, of course, her skirt is a little shorter than she could wear out of doors.
With a four inch heel and this leg — which she declares is very comfortable — she can mount a few steps unassisted; but, of course, she is unable to walk far without some support.
In conclusion, I should like to say that my wife has not been in any way seriously affected in health, and it may interest your readers to know that her hair, which measured 3 feet in length before her accident, is as thick and abundant as ever, and even seems to have grown longer, despite the anxiety and suffering which she (and myself) went through at the time.
I am sure we shall all be pleased to hear further from Miss Helen and hear how she is able to manage her domestic duties despite her infirmity.
Yours truly, Interested

Topic Author
Bazil
Старожил
Russia

03 Feb 2018, 12:01

London Life March 21, 1931 p. 27
Expert With A Crutch
Dear Sir, — I have just read the letter from "Admirer", and am pleased to know that my letter was of interest to one, at least, of my fellow readers. Perhaps the rather long letter I am going to write to you will interest them too.
I said in my letter that I had a peg leg made to fit the high heel, but when wearing an ordinary low heel the peg leg was far too long to walk on, so I had to resume to crutches again.
I first used the kind which fit under the arm, and after a time I was able to use one crutch only; but this pattern forced my shoulder up when using it, so I got a pair of the elbow kind, which are very much lighter and more comfortable, and now I can walk as far and as easily as I could before I lost my leg, but I do miss dancing and games, and stairs are still a great nuisance.
The peg leg is very rarely used now, as apart from having to take it off when not wearing a 4 inch heel, it is very awkward in a bus or train, as it is not jointed, and gets in other peoples way. It is of black enamelled wood, highly polished, and is very light and looks quite smart.
Indoors I use a crutch very little, as I can get about with the aid of a stick and the backs of chairs, etc.
Now I will answer "Admirer's" letter.
I appreciate his sympathy very much, but I do not mind my one-leggedness, as it is no use crying over spilt milk, and much less use crying over a lost leg, and so I make the best of it, although it would not be true to say I prefer one-leggedness.
He may also wonder why I do not wear an artificial leg; but a leg of this kind is only camouflage, and is easily known as artificial. It is also expensive; and besides, I consider myself so expert with a crutch that I can get about much better without the artificial leg. And I could not wear my lovely high heel if I used a wooden leg.
My shoes are all either strap or lace-up ones, as the Court pattern tend to slip on my one foot with such a high heel.
The only time I do really regret my loss is when I see a photo in your paper of a reader wearing two high heels. I can never do that, of course, but console myself with the knowledge that not many of your readers can wear a heel 18 inches high on one foot and a 5 inch heel on the other, because that is what my peg leg really amounts to, isn't it?
Yours truly, Helen Fivetoes

London Life March 21, 1931 p. 30
Graceful On Crutches
Dear Sir, — I have been a reader of your paper now for some weeks, and have been interested and delighted in many of its features, especially the many letters from wearers of high heels. But my greatest delight was when you published the letter from "Helen Fivetoes".
I have always been a devotee of high heels and used to buy the highest I could get. I had a number of pairs with 4 inch and 5 inch heels, and three pairs with 6 inches and 6 1/4 inches.
About two years ago, while pillion-riding with a boyfriend we were mixed up in nasty smash with two big cars. Merciful I lost consciousness, but when I came round in the hospital, some days later, and gathered my scattered wits, I found I was possessed of one leg only, the left one having been so badly smashed that it had been amputated right up close to the hip.
For some weeks I was very ill and very unhappy, but with returning strength my spirits rose, and I began to see the brighter side of things. In fact, when I reached the convalescent stage I resolved that my lost leg should make no difference at all where possible. So began a new phase of my life, balanced on one leg and a pair of crutches. That was nearly two years ago and today there are few things that I cannot do that I did as a two-legged being.
As soon as I was pronounced fit for, I tried wearing my high heels, starting with a 3 inch heel, and after some weeks I tried the 6 inch heel.
Your high-heeled readers will think that to be perched on very high heels is quite a thrill; but to stand on a single 6 inch stilt and swing gracefully along on the slimmest of crutches is a thrill that can only be realised by a one-legged girl.
As soon as I was promoted fit for a new leg by a specialist, and after many fittings, it was ready for me to wear. It is splendidly made, and when I am sitting, or even standing, no one could possibly tell that it was not my natural leg, for it matches the other one perfectly. But when I try to walk it is a different matter.
I find myself developing a most awkward and unnatural walk, so much that I wear it only indoors, where I find it most useful; for if one has to use crutches one cannot use one's hands for anything else.
For outdoor use I have a pair of very light elbow crutches, and can walk quite quickly and — if I may say so — quite gracefully, which cannot be said of the artificial leg.
By the way, it is quite economical to only have a single leg to cloth, as one pair of silk stockings goes twice as far, and I am in the fortunate position of being able to get a sample shoe for my right foot for a fraction of the cost of a pair of shoes.
Yours sincerely, Single High Heel

Topic Author
Bazil
Старожил
Russia

03 Feb 2018, 12:02

London Life April 18, 1931 p. 26
Perseverance Overcomes Misfortune
Dear Sir, — I have been most interested in the letters which have been appearing in your paper about high heels, but I was most delighted with the letters you published from "Helen Fivetoes" and "Single High Heel".
I also share their misfortune in only having one leg. I lost my leg two years ago in a motor smash, and after my leg had been amputated I found that I had not even been left with so much as a stump, my leg having been taken off right to the very hip.
I soon discovered that a peg leg would be out of question. Still, I don't mind, as I find I can now get about quite well with the aide of a crutch and, if I might say so, quite gracefully.
Before the accident I always wore high heels, usually the Court type, with a 6 inch heel. I was awfully upset when I thought that I would have to spend the rest of my life wearing a flat heeled shoe, so I made up my mind that I would do my utmost to still wear a high-heeled shoe.
Similar to your correspondent, I started by wearing first a 3 inch heel, this being the lowest I possessed. I can now get along quite nicely when wearing a 5 inch heel. I am able to use one crutch only, which is a great help, as I can use my other hand for carrying my bag, etc.
I would like to say that my crutch was made for me by a friend. It is very light and thin, and is made of highly polished black wood.
When I first went out I felt much embarrassment — it seemed such a thrill to be perched on a five inch heel, supported only by a slender crutch. I at first imagined everybody to be watching me hop along. I have now got over that feeling.
I often wonder what people think of me wearing such a a high heel, but what does it matter so long as it is comfortable? It is surely a great thrill to be perched on a single high heel, supported by just one crutch.
During the hot weather I find it advisable to wear a lower heel, as a 5 inch heel is too high when streets are wet, and may result in a nasty fall.
I would like to hear further from "Helen Fivetoes" and "Single High Heel". Perhaps they will say what they find wearing high heels during the wet weather.
Yours truly, Single Crutch

London Life May 2, 1931 p. 30
Admires "Helen Fivetoes", Courage
Dear Sir, — A copy of your magazine dated February l4th, 1931, has just reached me by the mail, and I was very interested to read in it a letter entitled, "High Heeled and One-legged", by "Helen Fivetoes". I have nothing but admiration for her, for the way in which she has not allowed the loss of her leg to overcome her and make her to give up the short skirts and smart high heels in which she takes so much delights.
Many girls in her position would have resigned themselves to flat heels and been too self conscious to make the resolve that Helen has done; and for this she is to be congratulated. But why doesn't she wear her 4 inch heel in the street? Because it would attract attention? Of course it would; and most of the attention would be of the admiring variety, I am sure.
Personally, I should very much like to see her swinging along on these elbow crutches of hers wearing a 4 inch heel on her shiny patent leather shoe.
In closing, I would like to say that I always get one good laugh out of your magazine, and that is whenever I see such headings as "Woman's Dominance Over Man". Woman never was, is, or will ever be the boss.
Best of luck to "London Life"
Yours faithfully
Planter (Ceylon)