Difficult aspects of amputee

Forum rules
Communication only in English!!!
Messages in other languages will be deleted!!!

Topic Author
Danfan334
Sex: male

Difficult aspects of amputee

20 Aug 2021, 16:55

So many of us fantasize about being a leg amputee, but to be honest, it makes for a hard life. My friend is an amputee and would have his leg back for anything in the world. For starters, walking with a prosthetic takes a lot of energy. Then you deal with the sores and discomfort and the summer heat. Walking with crutches is okay until you have to carry something and your arms are sore from crutching all the time.

To get a leg, it is a nightmare because the insurance companies want your to give up and the cash price is $75,000 take or leave it. Then after you get approval from insurance, you spend 10-20 hours casting, fitting, test socket, new socket, tweaking, rehab, falling down, mending (after fall), and buying socks, sleeves, lotions, whatever.

DanFan

elvro

Re: Difficult aspects of amputee

21 Aug 2021, 17:09

I am sure that those who fantasize about it are fully aware of this.
Also those that have a working national healthcare system don't have to worry much about getting a prosthesis.

Lebucheron
Belgium

Re: Difficult aspects of amputee

07 Oct 2021, 15:39

One of my French good friends has lost both legs due to the Burger illness - he is left with two short femur stumps, and no prostheses. He told me that living permanently in a wheelchair is not really uncomfortable ; other problems are linked to phantom pains, and even after almost 20 years as an amputee, phantom pains are sometimes severe. And from another amputee, who has his left leg amputated in Thailand (voluntary amputation of a sound leg), phantom pains are not unknown ...